Thursday 27 December 2012

Making and Painting some Furniture



This is Thatch Cottage in the making...
As a work in progress I never knew exactly how this would turn out, I just sort of ran with it and let the cottage guide me.  I wanted it to belong to a woman who was quite content to live there by herself with everything she needed in one room (apart from the WC which shall be later housed in its own closet outdoors).  She needed a bed, somewhere to sit, a table and chairs, and a wall unit or dresser oh and a few shelves.

I didn’t think she’s care much about making things match, she’d have pieces of furniture that had been passed on, or that had seen better days but all of miss-matched.  I set about painting a chair in a lovely blue colour.  As before on my other wood I painted it brown first, waxed it, painted it blue and rubbed some pain off in areas that would have been worn such as the seat.  



I found a dresser and painted it brown, then I painted all but the centre section and draws white then I scraped off some paint to make it look worn.    




I made a coat hook with a shelf above it.  This was made from balsa wood and painted brown and then roughly painted pink.  








 I still had a long way to go but I was pleased with the outcome so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment